Last week, an investor report by Capcom seemed to reveal that a new Resident Evil title is currently in the works. As the series’ first main installment in four years (with the last being the lukewarmly received Resident Evil 6), the possibility of a Resident Evil 7 sent fans of the long-running survival horror series abuzz with talk. Who would be directing the game? And would Capcom learn from the mistakes of Resident Evil 6 and not try to cram so many playing styles into a single game?
We’re still not entirely sure, but a series of tweets made today by Serkan Toto – the founder and CEO of a Japan-based games industry consultancy named Kantan Games, Inc. – sheds a little light on the darkness surrounding what appears to be a legitimate Resident Evil 7.
2) They will show it at E3. The RE7 team hired Jordan Amaro, a designer who previously worked on MGS V and P. T. at Kojima Productions. /end
— Dr. Serkan Toto (@serkantoto) May 17, 2016
Dr. Toto has a track record of being quite prophetic with his information. Among other things, he’s recently announced this nugget of info regarding the NX’s future releases.
From Dr. Toto’s tweets, here’s what we know so far (maybe):
– Resident Evil 7 is indeed in development.
– The game will allegedly “return to its horror roots” and act as a “clean slate” for the series
– Resident Evil 7 will be revealed at E3.
– Lastly, Capcom has hired Jordan Amaro to work on the project. Amaro is a young game Designer with an impressive portfolio, which includes Metal Gear Solid V, P.T. (Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro’s survival horror game), and Homefront 2, on all of which he worked as a Designer.
As can be seen from the responses to Dr. Toto’s tweets, Resident Evil fans are generally overjoyed at the prospect of a new game. But the question does remain of how Mr. Amaro will help Resident Evil return to its “roots.” He has several significant projects under his belt, but what kind of vision will he bring to the series?
That question, and the validity of Dr. Toto’s information, remains to be seen.
Stay tuned for more news on Resident Evil 7.