Indie developer based in Canada, Digital Extremes, is leading the way to what AAA quality looks like in the Free-to-Play market today, with the announcement of a massive new update for its sci-fi action game, Warframe. The PC update is named Update 14.0: The Mad Cephalon, the update focuses on a new user experience and even more immersion that will allow players to dive deeper into the universe of Warframe. Some of the updates that you will experience includes a redesigned user-interface that will let players know more about their new ship, The Liset. There will also be a new Quest system, which includes Vor’s Prize, and you will also get a new companion who is known by, The Kubrow.
“We’re putting the ‘B’ back in Beta with this update,” joked Steve Sinclair, creative director at Digital Extremes. “Seriously though, we need a new word for Beta. It just doesn’t fully encompass the evolutionary process that games like Warframe go through over their lifetime. Getting endless feedback from our players along with our own ambitions for the game makes us continually work to improve it. Sometimes that means re-working major foundational components to the game like the new-player experience. This entire experience has been a game changer for us – direct player connection – tap into it, nurture it, know what to take from it and a game can become more than you ever imagined it to be.”
Digital Extremes released the open beta to the Warframe community back in March 2013, and now with it being a year later this past March there has been a tremendous amount of support from the community with now close to 8 million registered users worldwide on PC and PC, though as of today that number has grown to be up 10 million users. There are plans for this most downloaded PC and PS4 game, to reach the Xbox One users later this summer.
Highlights that are included in the Update 14.0: The Mad Cephalon are below:
- NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE – Immerse yourself into the re-imagined user interface and menus aboard your personal spacecraft, The Liset. A meaningful Quest walks new players through Warframe, providing essential information on gameplay, lore, game modes and menus and introduces players to Ordis, the ship’s Cephalon, a guiding voice on The Liset.
- PET COMPANIONS – A new Quest unlocks a Genetic Foundry used for breeding biological specimens on your ship! Breed a Kubrow by collecting a Kubrow egg and incubating it in the Genetic Foundry. Different Kubrow personality types have different combat and non-combat abilities. Make your Kubrow more combat effective by caring for it and equipping powerful link mods. Create genetic imprints of your Kubrow that you can trade with fellow Tenno and combine to create your perfect pet!
- NEW WARFRAME – A master of illusion, Mirage confounds the enemy in a spectacle of style and power. MIRAGE’s powers include: Hall of Mirrors – Mirage creates an entourage of doppelgangers to distract and confuse the enemy. Sleight of Hand – A natural prankster, Mirage booby-traps nearby objects. Eclipse – Standing in light, Mirage becomes the main attraction, dealing heavy damage. While the shadows make Mirage difficult to track and even harder to hurt. Prism – Fires an energy orb that shoots lasers in all directions. Activating again detonates the orb, blinding nearby foes.
- QUESTS – Explore re-playable Quests with unlockable difficulty selection. This new Warframe experience opens with the debut Quest, Vor’s Prize.
- NEW DARK SECTORS CONFLICTS – Introducing a new player-versus-player game mode to replace the existing Dark Sectors Solar Rails conflict game mode. Choose which Clan or Alliance you wish to support and play the role of Attacker or Defender on a multi-staged objective mission! Up to four human players per side, with empty player slots auto-filled by Spectres.
- NEW WEAPONS AKZANI – The choice weapons of Mirage, these fast-firing dual pistols deliver a deadly performance. SILVA AND AEGIS– a Sword and Board style weapon created from the concept of the community Melee Design Contest Winner – SilverBones.
- EXPANDED GAME MODES – The Infested have overtaken Eris. Hive Sabotage, Exterminate, and Survival Game Modes now available!
Here is the highlight video for Warframe update 14.0:
PC users will be able to download the new update 14 for free on the website, while PS4 users will be getting the update in a few more weeks due to ‘new user experience requiring more development for the controller support.’
With the San Diego Comic-Con happening on July 24th-27th, it was announced last week that fans will have a chance to own Warframe’s Excalibur Limited Edition, but only 1,000 will be available. Visit the Symbiote Studios booth at either show to purchase the statue at the special conference price of $69.99.
Those unable to attend the shows may pre-order the statue for $79.99 online now while quantities last via the Official Warframe Merch Store at http://store.warframe.com. Expected ship date for the statues is late August.