Initially, Activision and Infinity Ward stated they would be releasing most post-release content simultaneously for the anticipated new release Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Many may have overlooked that claim but now it is all becoming very clear. Apparently the Spec Ops Survival mode for the new game will only be released for PS4 initially and Xbox One and PC users will have to wait for a while longer. Unfortunately, this has caused a storm to brew and developers have stepped in to give their thoughts and apologies to angry fans.
Many fans have turned to social media to express their thoughts on the decision, most being very negative. One stated that by time the content was out, a new Call of Duty would already be released. Another explained he is a PS4 player but still finds the decision made was unfair regardless. On Twitter, Infinity Ward’s narrative director Taylor Kurosaki made it clear that this was just a piece of the survival mode and this would not happen with any other content and the decisions made were not easy.
It’s all good. We have tried our best to have an open dialogue with our players from day one. We understand letting that trust down. These are complicated decisions that are above our pay grade. Please know we want what’s best for all our players.
— Taylor Kurosaki (@taylorkurosaki) September 24, 2019
At the same time Kurosaki was addressing people’s concerns, he also felt the community was blowing things out of proportion a bit. Much like many other things lately in social media.
Let’s be honest, “ruining” is an exaggeration. Survival is 1% of the game. The other 99% is simultaneous day and date across all platforms. I’d rather have everyone playing 99% of the content at the same time than 100% of the content some time later.
As unfair as it might seem, Kurosaki does make solid points in his statement. The survival mode is but a sliver of what the game has to offer and giving out the majority of the game at a later time to all consoles because of one hiccup was not on their mind. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will release simultaneously on PS4, Xbox One and PC October 25th.