WWG has recently reported on a previously rumored crossover game that would feature Nintendo’s Mario characters teaming up with Ubisoft’s Raving Rabbids. A new, leaked image has surfaced that WWG says Ubisoft has confirmed is legitimate.
The game is called Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and is supposedly set to come out this August or September. The game will reportedly be an RPG with a turn-based combat system and a co-op mode. IGN further reports that the game will apparently contain four worlds and will have a roughly twenty-hour main campaign. IGN also states that there will be eight playable characters in the game: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, a Rabbid dressed as Mario, a Rabbid dressed as Luigi, a Rabbid dressed as Peach and a Rabbid dressed as Yoshi. The leaked image seems to confirm these characters. Polygon adds that each playable character will have their own unique playstyles and personalities and that there will be several collectible and upgradeable weapons available in the game. Polygon also states that about 65% of the game will be comprised of combat while the other 35% will be exploration of the game’s four worlds.
Some other supposed key art has drawn suspicion, however. Below, you can see one picture in particular that has two skepticism-worthy points. One is the misspelling of the word “personalities,” incorrectly spelling it as “personnalities.” The other is the inclusion of the word “badass” to describe Peach’s playstyle. It just seems kind of odd for the word “badass” to be included in a franchise such as Mario, which has built up a reputation as a family-friendly franchise.
Not much else is known about the game so far. Apparently, it will be officially revealed at this year’s E3 in June and it is expected to be a Nintendo Switch exclusive. Both IGN and Polygon have reached out to Nintendo and Ubisoft for further comments, but as of the writing of this article, neither have heard back from either company.