Box Hedge Games has launched a new Kickstarter campaign for their game Super Mighty Power Man. The title features classic NES retro-style gameplay with its 8-bit sprites and environments and a 2D action-platformer point of view.
According to Box Hedge Games’ Kickstarter, Super Mighty Power Man is heavily inspired by the Megaman series and “other titles including: Castlevania, Contra, Duck Tales, Kirby, Super Mario Bros. and more recent ones like VVVVVV, Retro City Rampage and Shovel Knight.”
Players take on the role of Corey aka Powerman, “a gutsy kid who accidentally finds himself caught in a most unexpected adventure to save the galaxy, with a clumsy assistant extraterrestrial robot named Robby.” Corey will defend Earth and save the galaxy by using new powers obtained from a special device called a ‘Power Grasp,’ in addition to 8 different suits with unique weapons and abilities he can access throughout the game. Corey is seen using some of his suits in the trailer:
- Cat powersuit: allows Corey to scale walls with ease.
- Ant powersuit: allows Corey to shrink down to the size of an ant and dodge attacks.
- Eel powersuit: gives Corey the power to swim and shock enemies underwater.
- Ape powersuit: allows Corey to use special jumps and throw banana weapons.
- Falcon powersuit: gives Corey the ability to fly and shoot 3 shots at a time from his hand.
- Crab powersuit: allows Corey to use a grappling hook weapon to hit far away enemies or latch onto objects and swing from them.
Enemy monsters vary depending on the level and environment Corey explores. Each monster has their own method of attack and boss monsters have the largest attack ranges. Bosses appear to be bigger than regular monsters and have their own stage where Corey has to fight them one on one.
Super Mighty Power Man has a $58,362 Kickstarter goal with a little over $5,700 pledged so far. The campaign has 29 days to go and if it reaches full funding, Box Hedge Games plans to release Super Mighty Power Man on PC, Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS systems.