Grand Theft Auto VI has been unofficially, officially revealed with a leak posted on the GTA Forums. The user “teapotuberhacker” posted 90 footage/clips from the upcoming GTA VI. Teapotuberhacker says that they were obtained directly from Rockstar Games’ internal slack. The footage, which has since been confirmed to be genuine confirms the report released earlier this year of the game’s setting and features a playable female character.
To those who asked: There are several reasons this is a nightmare for Rockstar. One is that it’ll disrupt work for a while. Another is that it may lead management to limit work-from-home flexibility. The repercussions of this leak might not be clear for quite a while
— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) September 18, 2022
The report said that the game would take place in a fictionalized version of Miami, Florida like Vice City. The words Vice City appear in some of the released clips. A playable character is on the “Vice City Metro,” for example.
Another clip shows a playable female character named Lucia who is robbing a restaurant and taking hostages. Eventually, she and her male accomplice get into a shootout with police before jumping into a car and driving off, fighting against the police. Another thing the report revealed was that the female playable character plays into GTA VI’s story which is inspired and influenced by Bonnie and Clyde.
One clip shows that GTA VI will be taking aspects from Red Dead Redemption II and include the conversation system from that game where players can engage in conversation with any NPCs in the world.
There was also a look at updated UI and animations, and even Rockstar’s own internal debug tools for the game on PlayStation.
“Teapotuberhacker” said that “I am looking to negotiate a deal” and they claim they may leak more data soon including GTA 5 and GTA 6 source code and assets, and GTA 6 testing build.
Take-Two Interactive, Rockstar’s parent company has started to issue copyright claims against the videos on YouTube and social media networks but many note that the videos have been spread so widely that they might be fighting a losing battle by getting rid of the footage from the internet.
Rockstar Games took to Twitter and released a statement confirming the leak. The message reads:
A Message from Rockstar Games pic.twitter.com/T4Wztu8RW8
— Rockstar Games (@RockstarGames) September 19, 2022