Focus Home Interactive and former game designers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. at Vostok Games have been working hard to bring us the battle royale game, Fear the Wolves. Recently, the team announced that the upcoming title will enter Steam Early Access on July 18.
Fear The Wolves at its core is a competitive first-person shooter game. It combines the essence of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. into a brutal arena of 100 players, and the game puts players into a nuclear-polluted Chernobyl environment with players across a 25 square kilometers map. The classic battle royale vibe has the player trying to outlive 99 other players.
To be the last person to survive, the player needs to consider many realistic factors. In addition to the dangerous nuclear-polluted environment and other survivors, there are deadly mutant monsters caused by the radiation and weather changes especially acid rain. There is a day-and-night loop system in the game, where players can adopt different tactics. Players can find defense tools or radiation protective suits to help them explore the extinct areas.
According to Fear the Wolves steam page, this early access title will feature the following:
- A 100 player battle royale experience that supports solo and squad modes.
- 20+ guns, 25+ attachments, 15+ armors, air drops, consumables, and much more
- PvE: Wolf packs stalk players and are a deadly threat, while anomalies from the disaster must also be avoided to survive.
- 25km2 map in ruins surrounding Chernobyl, with rivers, forests, destroyed towns, hidden army camps, and much more.
- Dynamic, vote-based weather system: The weather of Chernobyl is constantly changing – you’ll face clear days, harsh winds, thunderous storms, and more, all voted for by the players spectating a match.
- As a match continues, morning will turn to noon and finally dusk as you make your extraction.
- Dilapidated but functional jeeps dot the landscape of Fear the Wolves, a loud and obvious but speedy way to escape dangerous areas.
- Radiation: Radiation infects the battlefield at random, spreading unevenly, and offering different threats depending on intensity.
- The Extraction: Escape each map in a dramatic finale as you fight the other last players standing to extract via helicopter.
- Spectator mode: Dead players can continue to spectate a match, and vote for weather.
Fear the Wolves comes to PC on Steam Early Access July 18. There will be a full release on consoles and PC sometime in 2019.