Indie Game Developer and Publisher Team17 Digital, was founded in 1990 and has brought games like the Worms Series, Alien Breed and Superfrog. They have announced today that Worms Battlegrounds will be able to download for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One via Microsoft’s ID@Xbox program, May 30th in the UK and June 3rd in America. You will be able to buy the digital only copy of the game in America for $24.99, while the UK will be getting both digital and retail release.
In Worms Battlegrounds, players will be able to choose whether they play single-player and go against AI or multiplayer and go against their friends, with also the ability to create their own clans. Take part in matches and group activities to earn points to grow your own clans. Gear up your worm soldiers with weapons and items in attempt to eliminate the opposing team. Players will also be available to use level editor, play a single-player campaign with 25 story missions and 10 “Worm-Ops” time-attack missions, and 5 different environments. Multiplayer options will allow you to play against up to four players in local and online battles, and you will also be able to choose modes like Deathmatch and Classic.
“A particularly cool thing is that if we were in a clan together we could — for the first time — play controlling the same team,” Team 17 Digital representative Bethany Aston wrote on the PlayStation Blog. “I’d take control of two of the worms, and so would you.”
Here are more details and features that are included in Worms Battlegrounds:
- Worms Battlegrounds’ single player campaign features 25 story missions and 10 “Worm-Ops” time-attack missions, which are set across five environments (Inca, Viking, Feudal Japan and Industrial Revolution) with new day-to-night lighting transitions.
- Multi-BAFTA award winning writer Dean Wilkinson provides the script for the single player story campaign, which is voiced Katherine Parkinson (The IT Crowd).
- Local and online multiplayer battles support up to four players. Choose from two different game modes: Deathmatch, Forts and Classic and either predefined or customized game settings.
- Multiplayer clan support is included, where you can take part in league matches to earn community points. One feature with clans is that, if you’re in the same clan with someone else, you can play controlling the same team (each person controls two worms).
- There’s a Landscape Editor, allowing you to create your own maps, which you can then challenge your friends on.
- Includes 65 weapons and utilities, including 10 new items: the Mega Mortar, Gravedigger, Winged Monkey, Oxygen, Worm Charm, Bovine Blitz, Whoopsie Cushion, Teleport Gun, Aqua Pack and The Equaliser.
- DualShock 4′s touch pad is used for weapon select through swipe gestures, allowing you to assign up to four weapons to four different directions.
- The DualShock 4′s light bar will glow red for attacks and explosions, blue when your worm is submerged in water, and green to indicate that your worm is poisoned.
- 1080p/60fps gameplay.
- Over 200 individual customisation items for the worms.