Heads up to you Wii U owners. The Wii U just got a fairly sizable Firmware update.
Here is the list of the contents of this update according to Nintendo’s website:
Version 4.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:
- A feature to output video and sound to the Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode¹
- Users can choose to output to the TV and GamePad, or just the TV
- A feature to automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
- Support for USB keyboards
- An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
- Support for Dolby® Pro Logic® II Surround Sound when playing Wii software
Changes to Wii U Menu:
- Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List
Changes to System Settings:
- An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under “Internet”
- A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through “TV”
- Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
- A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under “Power Settings” when Standby Functions are enabled
Changes to Wii U Chat:
- Added the option to view a friend’s profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
- Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad
Changes to Internet Browser:
- Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
- Holding the R Button will speed up video playback
- Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login²
- Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots
- Added support for viewing PDF files³
- Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
These all seem to be pretty good. There are a few addendum’s at the bottom of the list though:
1)Wii software displayed on the Wii U GamePad cannot be controlled by the GamePad. This feature only allows Wii software to be displayed on the GamePad. A Wii Remote Plus or Wii Remote is required to play Wii software titles.
2)Users can delete saved usernames and passwords from the Internet Browser settings.
3)Sometimes data may not be displayed correctly depending on the size and format of the PDF file. PDF files cannot be saved.