Respawn Entertainment, the folks behind Titanfall 2, announced today that they will be rolling out the highly-anticipated Live Fire gameplay mode in a big update tomorrow, alongside a host of new features. The game will also be receiving a special double XP weekend (Feb 23-27) that will only apply to games played in the new Live Fire mode, encouraging players to jump in and give it a try and ensuring that matchmaking in the new mode will be flowing thick and fast.
Live Fire mode promises to bring an exciting new twist to the classic Titanfall formula, pitting two teams of six pilots against each other in an extremely fast-paced new type of deathmatch/kill the carrier hybrid. Each round of Live Fire lasts only one minute long, and allows no Titan use and no respawns. One team can claim victory by eliminating the entire opposing team, or by being in possession of a single neutral flag at the end of the sixty-second timer. Rounds look to be quick, chaotic, and brutal; you can check out the gameplay trailer for the mode below:
If that looks a little daunting to you, have no fear; Titanfall 2 designer Griffin Dean has been kind enough to share 5 helpful tips for players getting started in the new mode, which you can check out over at the PlayStation Blog.
In addition to the new Live Fire mode, this Titanfall 2 update will bring a number of other features, including:
- Mixtape Matchmaking: You’ll notice a complete overhaul of the matchmaking menu. Thanks to hard work from the team and feedback from the community, this new feature will allow you to create your own “mixtape” of modes.
- Featured Playlist: Here we will be swapping out new modes each week that we think you should play, and for some of them we’ll reward you with Double XP events for checking them out.
- Live Fire Maps: There will be two maps, Stacks and Meadows, that will support Live Fire mode only. Live Fire will be a limited time mode that will show up on Featured Playlists. We’ll be rotating this with other modes that we want to feature.
- New Patch: There will be a large patch included with this update that will bring a plethora of game changes and fixes among many other things. We will provide patch notes online at release as well as in the Multiplayer menu FAQ.
- New Execution: Inspired by the Stim, Last Hit packs a punch and you’ll see it show up with the rest of the executions in the Pilot customization options.
- New Coliseum Map: Go mano e mano in a brand-new map called Columns that adds a twist to the existing formula.
- New Factions Intros: We’ve added some new dialogue for faction leaders, so enjoy the new pep talk as you drop into that next match.
Respawn has stated that Live Fire is only the first of many updates they have planned for the coming year, and that all future maps, modes, and other content they release will continue to be free for all Titanfall 2 players to enjoy.