The Terrian Saga: KR-17 is a retro-styled 2D platformer about robots, shooting things, and awesome. It is also available now.
There was a time once, a simpler time, when games were all about platforms. Running, jumping, shooting, dodging, it all took place from a sidelong view filled with conveniently spaced girders, treetops, floating islands, clouds, or sometimes non-contextually-sensitive blocks. The Terrian Saga: KR-17 believes that this time needs to return in all its VGA-colored glory.
The Terrian Saga: KR-17 is the first game to be released by the Dallas-based indie studio Wonderfling and is being published by Digital Tribes, the publishers behind many other indie titles like Kung Fu Strike and Fortresscraft. The game takes a lot of obvious visual and gameplay influence from classics of the 16-bit and early 32-bit era, with crisp, colorful sprites and a lot of animated charm. Even the story will strike familiar tones with gamers who grew up in the days of cartridges and wired game pads.
In Terrian Saga: KR-17 players take control of a misfit military drone as it gains sentience and grows a conscious after being activated for war. An assortment of upgradable weapons will be at the player’s disposal including a laser, grenades, and flame thrower along with their trusted friend, sidekick and sentient guided missile named J1M. Players must fight their way through hordes of varying enemy robots while exploring intricate levels to uncover their mysterious past and discover the true enemy.
The game’s creators and publisher have even gone out of their way to let nostalgia fuel much of their advertising, as is evidenced by this YouTube trailer for the game:
The Terrian Saga: KR-17 receives its release on Windows-based PCs July 9th, and will see a release on Macs later in the month, on the 29th. The Steam version will premier at $4.99, but for a limited time the game will be available at a 20% discount. For that price, the game has a pretty significant amount of content available out of the box (or, in this case, digital file.)
Key Features in KR-17
- Adventure across 65 boards spread over 9 themed zones
- Test your mettle battling against 8 deadly bosses
- Fire and guide J1M to take out hard to reach enemies, blast open new passages and explore the environments
- Receive important updates and gameplay information from J1M as you play
- Collect Gears to purchase Weapon Upgrades at special posts hidden throughout the game
- Experience varied level design that keeps the gameplay fresh by incorporating non-linear levels that encourage exploration along with high intensity action platforming sequences
- Steam Features include Achievements, Leaderboards, Stats, Trading Cards and enabled Controller Support
- Free KR-17 OST included in the game for a limited time at launch
If you like Mega Man, or Earthworm Jim, or just have a soft spot in your heart for slightly twitchy action-platformers, check out The Terrian Saga: KR-17 now at your nearest Steam digital distribution outlet.