Super Bomberman R, the newest entry in Konami’s Bomberman franchise, is getting a new update with a bunch of new features and characters. Perhaps the most exciting new characters are Naked Snake Bomber and Solid Snake Bomber, both featuring David Hayter reprising his role as Snake’s original voice actor.
In a tweet on the official Konami Twitter account, a new trailer for the 2.1 update for Super Bomberman R was posted:
!!SPOTTED!! Both Naked Snake & Solid Snake join Super Bomberman R! The incomparable David Hayter returns to provide his legendary voice for the new Snake Bombers! @DavidBHayter https://t.co/gUY0GTERJe
— Konami (@Konami) June 27, 2018
This new update brings a variety of new features, including:
- A “Checkpoints” rule for Grand Prix mode. Players fight over checkpoints in a stage. Occupied checkpoints give points every ten seconds to whoever owns it. At the end of the round, extra points are given to those that have checkpoints occupied.
- Three new stages themed around the Metal Gear games.
- New accessories
- Bug fixes and rule patches
Perhaps the most interesting feature in the new update involves the new characters. Previous versions had some interesting characters, including ones exclusive to the PC or specific consoles, but this version features two (technically three) very interesting new characters. Two of these characters are Naked Snake Bomber and Solid Snake Bomber, and they are being voiced by David Hayter. David Hayter was the original voice for Snake, having voiced him in Metal Gear Solid 1-4. His last role was in 2010’s Peace Walker, having been replaced Kiefer Sutherland in 2015’s Metal Gear Solid 5. David Hayter will also return to voice Snake in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
In addition, professional wrestler and Youtuber Xavier Woods will be voicing a bomberman character based off of himself. The other new characters include:
- Raiden Bomber (from Metal Gear Solid)
- Bill Bomber and Lance Bomber (from Contra)
- Vic Viper ZERO Bomber (from Gradius)
- Ayako Katagiri Bomber (from Tokegeki Memorial, a Japanese visual novel/dating sim series)
- Ebisumaru Bomber (from the mostly-Japanese exclusive Ganbare Goemon games)
- Max (an original character from the Bomberman games)
Version 2.1 is currently out now.