Indie studio Yacht Club Games Shovel Knight was set for a March 31st release date for Mac, Linux, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U and Windows PC. But Yacht Club Games announced a delay on their Kickstarter page and according to the update, it will be delayed “for a few weeks.” Making sure that the game and everything else is polished, and the game is pretty much done. This is the second delay since the original planned release of the game on September 2013 after a successful end to their Kickstarter campaign last April.
Shovel Knight is an 8-bit 2D action/adventure game starring a knight in shining armor who only has a shovel to defend himself. Shovel Knight has come to this valley with two goals: to defeat the evil Enchantress and save his lost beloved. These terrible enemies, known as The Order of No Quarter, have been ordered to prevent Shovel Knight from reaching the Enchantress at all cost!
- Sweeping adventure with classic action.
- Dig! Run! Jump! Explore! and platform your way through themed stages filled with secrets.
- Handcrafted pumped-up 8 bit style. A labor of love!
- Crazy bosses and lovable characters.
- A light touch to narrative with humor and levity.
- Discover and master multiple relics!
- Amass riches to upgrade your armor and weapons.
- Awesome soundtrack by Jake “Virt” Kaufman and additional songs composed by Manami Matsumae!
The studio’s original goal was $75,000 and ended up raising more than $300,000. They expanded the goal of the project, which led the company to push the title back to early 2014.
In this final development push, Yacht Club is working on:
- Finalizing dialogue and scripted events
- Putting the finishing touches on level design for the later levels
- Game balancing
- Making sure the game runs smoothly on all platforms and testing for bugs
“The crew at the Yacht Club is tired; we’ve been working literally every day, and every waking hour, to make the game great. But! We’re just not quite there yet,” reads a blog post from the team. “Shovel Knight will be missing March 31 by a few weeks to make sure it’s a world-class experience, and can release on all platforms simultaneously.”
Yacht Club has mentioned that they won’t announce a new release date until it is certain the date can be met on Wii U, 3DS, and Steam.
Delay extravaganza [Kickstarter]