Nintendo Switch owners now have more game-specific news channels to follow on their console, with some channels granting free items to players.
One of the new channels, “Tips from the Wild,” is a series of articles from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild‘s director, Hidemaro Fujibayashi. So far, Fujibayashi has posted three articles to the feed, one introducing the channel, a tip about befriending dogs and a recipe for Energizing Honey Candy.
After scrolling through these blurbs, players can press the ‘start software’ button to receive specific items, such as two apples, a piece of meat and two combs of Courser Bee Honey for their Breath of the Wild adventures.
There are some requirements to claiming these free gifts, such as Breath of the Wild updated to version 1.3.1 or higher and having the paraglider. The items will be automatically added to players’ inventories after launching the game, as long as their file is saved outside a shrine or dungeon.
Other recently added channels include Nintendo Minute, the company’s video-based news segment, and R.B.I Baseball 17.
The news feed can be reached from the lock screen by pressing the Y button or the News bubble on the console’s Home Menu. Users can customize their feeds to reflect their interests from multiple publishers by pressing the + button. Then, they can scroll through the channels and pick their favorites.
A list of the 16 available channels follows:
- R.B.I Baseball 17
- Nintendo Minute Channel
- Ironcast Consortium
- Super Mario Odyssey Channel
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Tips from the Wild
- News De Mambo
- Retro City Rampage DX
- ARMS News
- Blaster Master Zero Channel
- Graceful Explosion Machine
- Mighty Gunvolt Burst Channel
- New Frontier Days ~Founding Pioneers~ Frontier News
- Death Squared‘s Super Fun Happy News Channel
- Oceanhorn News Channel
- Nintendo News *
* The Nintendo News channel is followed by default. Users who wish to unfollow this channel have to access the ‘System’ tab in System Settings.