Nintendo has announced the first limited time in-game event for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The event makes a variety of high-quality spirits more available to spirit collectors, and the spirits are all themed around characters with glasses, goggles, and other eyewear.
The event, known as ‘Spectacled Spirits’, starts December 14 at 1 AM Eastern and ends at December 17 at 1 AM. During this time period, spirits of characters with eyewear will be more common and give more gold when claimed. In particular, four high ranking spirits (two Ace-class and two Legend-class) will have dedicated time periods devoted to them, appearing for two hours each day. The battles against them will likely be tough, but you’ll have guaranteed opportunities to find them. These four spirits are:
- James McCloud (Star Fox) 1 AM and 1 PM everyday. Legend-class
- Jeff Adonauts (Earthbound) 7 AM and 7 PM everyday. Legend-class
- Brittany (Pikmin 3) 4 AM and 4 PM everyday. Ace-class.
- Brewster (Animal Crossing) 10 AM and 10 PM everyday. Ace-class.
Meanwhile, various other bespectacled spirits are more likely to randomly appear during the event. These random spirits also include the four high-ranking spirits revealed earlier. The full list includes:
- Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid)
- Nikki (Swapnote)
- 9-Volt and 18-Volt (WarioWare)
- Lloyd (MOTHER/Earthbound Beginnings)
- Elite Beat Agents (Elite Beat Agents)
- Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Academy)
- Crusty Sean (Splatoon)
- Annie (Splatoon)
- Gracie (Animal Crossing)
- Orbulon (WarioWare)
- Teddy (MOTHER/Earthbound Beginnings)
- Toadies (Yoshi’s Island)
- Madame Couture (The Legend of Zelda)
- Wrinkly Kong (Donkey Kong)
- Fawful (Mario and Luigi)
- Cereza (Bayonetta)
- Strangelove (Metal Gear Solid)
- Nick (Captain Rainbow)
- Sumo Brothers (Rhythm Heaven)
- Baxter and Forthington (Rhythm Heaven)
- Sick Beats Doctor (Rhythm Heaven)
- Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)
- Coraline (StreetPass)
- Bisk (Splatoon)
- Tatsu (Xenoblade Chronicles)
- Lyle (Animal Crossing)
- Count Cannoli (Wario)
- Moley (Kirby)
- Professor Chops (Donkey Kong)
- Toadsworth (Super Mario)
Spirits are a big new gameplay mechanic that more or less replaces the trophies from previous games. Each spirit represents a character from a video game, and they function as trading cards, power-ups, perks, and more. Primary spirits can be equipped to your character to boost their attack and defense in certain ways. Ampharos from Pokemon for example, makes your electricity-based attacks stronger. Primary spirits may sometimes also be able to equip secondary spirits that offer perks, like starting matches with a certain item. Spirits play a big part in the World of Light mode and add a whole new level of complexity to the game.
‘Spectacled Spirits’ runs from December 14 to December 17, starting and ending at 1 AM Eastern.