In a press release sent out yesterday, Retro Games Ltd. and Solutions 2 GO have announced a modern-day remake of the old-school Commodore 64. Named ‘THEC64® Mini,’ this 50% replica of the 1982 bestselling computer comes pre-loaded 64 classic games.
The original Commodore 64 was an 8-bit home computer released January 1982 by Commodore International. It managed to sell 10 to 17 million units, making it the highest-selling single computer model of all time. THEC64® Mini allows modern gamers to experience this classic system in the form of a tiny but fully formed, officially licensed 50% replica of the classic computer. Paul Andrews, Retro Games’ Managing Director, said:
We are delighted to be able to bring back some of the most loved retro games ever, on one of the most successful formats of all time. The North American release of THEC64® mini is a reimagining of the classic C64 computer and one of a series of products we have on the way.
THEC64® Mini includes the following features:
- 64 pre-installed titles, including such classics as California Games, Winter Games, Impossible Mission II, Boulder Dash,Jumpman, Pitstop II, Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe, Street Sports Baseball, Summer Games II,Temple of Apshai Trilogy, Uridium, and more.
- Two USB ports, allowing a second controller or a keyboard to program your own games.
- Customized visuals, allowing options such as 720p and 60Hz via HDMI, 4:3 ratio, US/Europe display mode options, and a CRT filter for that classic look.
- The ability to plug in a USB keyboard and use THEC64® as a fully functional home computer with C64 BASIC.
- The ability to save your progress in games, a feature the original Commodore 64 lacked.
- Support for software updates via USB flash drive, allowing players continued access to improved and enhanced programming.