Another November, another Call of Duty game. This time we get space warfare and a frowny Jon Snow as a villain. With each new entry, we get new features and new ways to play the game. Space combat and Game of Thrones reference aside, Infinite Warfare will feature two new modes: Specialist and YOLO each adding a new level of challenge to the game.
Activision outlined the new modes in a blog post yesterday. In previous entries, the game had the standard Recruit, Regular, Hardened, Veteran, and Realistic difficulty curve, but now there will be two higher than Realistic. Specialist mode unlocks after you beat the game on any difficulty and adds a few wrinkles to the main game. First off, there is no health regen, and instead, health can only be replenished from Nano Shots. Helmets are also your only protection from headshots but will break after enough damage is dealt to them. Getting shot in the arms and legs will also impact your movement and aiming. If that wasn’t enough your gun can also get shot out of your hands. Here’s a full list.
- You can only heal with Nano Shots, there is no health regeneration in this mode.
- Helmets are your only protection from headshots. They will take permanent damage and will need to be replaced.
- Both Nano Shots and helmets take up equipment slots, so remember to equip them in your loadout on the Retribution before each level.
- Master the lean from behind cover mechanic, which will be critical for your survival. Approach the edge of cover while standing or crouching, and aim down sights when you see a chevron appear on the side of your crosshairs. You will auto-pop from behind cover as you ADS.
- If you get shot in the legs, it will impact your movement. If you get shot in either arm, it will impact your ability to use equipment or aim down sights. Note: Your weapon can be shot out of your hands.
If you manage to claw your way through that mode you will unlock YOLO mode. In this mode, if you die you have to restart the game because you only live once. Get it? It doesn’t specify how difficulty the AI will be, but expect it to be somewhere around Realistic.
Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare will be out tomorrow for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.