Scarlet Moon Records is about to release an album of video game soundtrack covers with a twist: each track is a battle theme rewritten into a relaxing lullaby. Prescription for Sleep: Fight for Your Dreams is comprised of twelve fully-licensed “jazzy lullabies to sleep, relax, and study to.” The album features themes from Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, Dark Souls, Undertale, and more, and it’s the sixth album in composing team Gentle Love’s Prescription for Sleep series. Gentle Love is a musical duo consisting of Metal Gear Solid/Bayonetta series composer Norihiko Hibino on saxophone and Etrian Odyssey/PersonaQ performer AYKAI on the piano.
“I’ve been wanting to create a volume dedicated to battle music for quite some time,” said Scarlet Moon Records producer Jayson Napolitano in a press release. “I’ve been trying to increase the challenge factor with each installment of the series, and what better way to challenge Hibino-san and AYAKI than by taking some of the most intense music from video games and having them transformed into lullabies? I thought it would be a unique way to celebrate the Halloween season.”
Here’s the full Fight for Your Dreams tracklist:
- 01. Veiled in Black (Final Fantasy XV)
- 02. Boss (Mega Man 2)
- 03. MEGALOVANIA (UNDERTALE)
- 04. Battle with the Four Fiends (Final Fantasy IV)
- 05. Those Imprisoned by Destiny (Chrono Cross)
- 06. Mini-Boss (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island)
- 07. Autobot-Decepticon Battle (Transformers: The Movie (1986))
- 08. Beasts as Black as Night (Wanderers from Ys: Ys III)
- 09. Ornstein & Smough (Dark Souls)
- 10. Intolerance (Raystorm)
- 11. Mother Brain (Super Metroid)
- 12. In a Better Place (Original)
Prescription for Sleep: Fight for Your Dreams will release on October 10th, and you can pre-order the album on Bandcamp now for a price of $10 or more. Below you can listen to the first track off the album, Veiled in Black.