Buy games related on this topic at | Amazon
The list of the most played Steam games of 2016 has been released. GitHyp, which tracks the playing hours of the games on Steam, recently published its report on the site’s most-played games. As expected, all of the Valve games were on top of the list. Interesting, though, is the fact that no game in 2016 made the list.
One of the lists is based on total players per hours. Valve’s free-to-play Dota 2 is No. 1 on the list, averaging approximately 636,607 players per hour. Rounding out the top five for the year were Counter-Strike: Global Offensive at 360,600, Team Fortress 2 at 50,802, Grand Theft Auto V at 40,258 and Civilization V at 37,885. The complete Top 5 list can be seen below, including comparisons to 2015’s Top 5 games.
Average Players Per Hour for Steam Games in 2016:
- Dota 2 / 636,607 Avg. players per hour (#1 in 2015)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 360,600 Avg. players per hour (#2 in 2015)
- Team Fortress 2 / 50,802 Avg. players per hour (#4 in 2015)
- Grand Theft Auto V / 40,258 Avg. players per hour (#5 in 2015)
- Sid Meier’s Civilization V / 37,885 Avg players per hour (#9 in 2015)
GitHyp also ranks games based on peak players, with Dota 2 taking the top spot again with almost 1.3 Million players. The entire list is seen below also with the 2015 comparisons.
Peak Players for Steam Games in 2016:
- Dota 2 / 1,286,617 peak players (#1 in 2015)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 845,806 peak players (#2 in 2015)
- No Man’s Sky / 212,321 peak players (new)
- XCOM 2 / 132,834 peak players (new)
- Dark Souls III / 129,922 peak players (new)
Of the 2016 games, GitHyp reported that Overwatch-like free-to-play Paladins had the most players per hour with 22,809. Following Paladins is Dark Souls III at 14,186, No Man’s Sky at 8,393 and XCOM 2 at 7,815.
The entire list of most-played games in 2016 can be found on Steam’s own stats page.
Also relating to Steam, Steam set a major milestone in total players signed in at the same time. Steam reached a grand total of 14 million people playing at the same time, setting a new concurrent user record.